Before starting my career as a digital designer, I was a sociology research associate for Cardiff University. While there, I took it upon myself to design and build a hypertext application to store research data. And so, my interest in the web, usability, design and coding was born.
My digital career properly began in 2000 as designer at Brand New Media.
In 2002, I started freelancing. Six years later, one of my favourite clients made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. I joined Leeds-based agency AWA in 2008 as Senior Producer.
In 2011, I made the decision to return to freelancing. I’ve always enjoyed the control it gives me over the variety of work I take on. The freedom is pretty cool too.
So I’ve now been doing the digital thing for over 20 years. I specialise in web design and development where the design aesthetic is at the fore. Where photography is key. These include (but aren’t restricted to): product design, architecture, high-end homewares, TV and film.
Other professional experience
- Provided weekly studio support for the undergraduate design module in Digital Media at Leeds University.
- Member of Advisory Group for an HNC multimedia course for disadvantaged women in Leeds (course sponsored by the European Social Fund).
- Helped Vera Media run animation workshops (Flash) for girls in a Leeds secondary school and and edited the individual animations so they came together to form a collaborative film that represented the whole class.
- Worked for Orange on 2 month contract as an in-house designer to help with transition from Wannadu to Orange. On the back of this work, I had the great opportunity to work an interactive Ecohouse project with Grand Designs’ Kevin McLoud and Poke London.
- Sole designer/developer on “Trading Up” - a project run by Vera Media and funded by the North Yorkshire Forum for Voluntary Organisations. I built an interactive application in Flash which contained everything you needed to set up a “social enterprise”, including how to write business plans, get funding, manage finance. It also included interactive quizzes and 5 hours worth of audio.
- Freelance technical consultant for Cardiff University to design and script hypertext CD-ROMS and web sites for distance-learning social work students.
- Tutor to first year undergraduates in social theory: leading seminars and marking essays.
- Taught qualitative research methods and software skills to colleagues and postgraduate law students.
- HNC Multimedia (7 distinctions, 1 merit)
- 2(i) Bsc Econ Hons, Sociology